Ride

Tuesday, January 29, 2013



I don't spend much time on my bike beyond riding on nearby paths to run the dog, so maybe that's why I was so interested in a New York Times article about people commuting from far-flung suburbs into the city. It's the hour - some at 4:45 a.m. - they leave; it's the conditions - dark, ice - they ride in; and it's the distances - 40 or so miles one way - that got me. I pride myself on getting out of bed at 7:00 each morning and walking my youngest daughter to school a quarter of a mile in 40 degree weather. Ha! What about the group that leaves from Ridgewood, NJ, at 5:30, with a shift at 6:30 "for the lazy people"? And the commuter who starts off alone in Chappaqua, NY, and is met in Hawthorne by a family of coyotes that trots alongside his bike? No complaining tomorrow morning or ever again when my alarm goes off.

Photo by Mikael Colville-Andersen via Flickr



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Wet Dog, Muddy Boots All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger