Sleepover

Monday, March 4, 2013



My two daughters love sleepovers with all their hearts (the younger is just getting started). They would have a friend or 10 sleep with them every night if they could. Of course they can't, especially with a mother who doesn't quite share their passion. I'm a fan of a good night's sleep and an advocate of beds, preferably one's own.

So there's always a tiny sense of worry on my part when a sleepover is coming up. But then - every single time - it's just fine. It's fine even when it's not fine, if that makes any sense at all. Even when a child has to go home in the middle of the night. Even when another child can't sleep. Even when all children are up at an ungodly hour of the morning. It's still OK. Everyone will sleep well the next night. Last night's popcorn will be vacuumed from the couch cushions. Everyone will have had a good time. Why I can't remember that beforehand, I don't know.

But then, the other night, I was reminded. It was late, and I was turning off lights and locking doors when it occurred to me there was someone asleep in every part of the house: one daughter and a friend in the basement; the dog in the family room; my son and another daughter upstairs in their rooms; and my husband in our room. At the risk of sounding like a big sap, it made me happy. It was a nice moment. And I didn't even mind the sound of four feet tearing up the stairs very, very early the next morning.


Photo by Simply Seleta

5 comments:

  1. Yes...sleepovers can be fun, but we do not do popcorn...you are a good mom and very brave...finding popcorn pieces days later is like finding unfound jelly beans months after Easter...not my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Instead we do bowls of ice cream and chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel the same way you do about sleepovers. I do regret them the next day though as the kids are grumpy and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel the same way you do about sleepovers. I do regret them the next day though as the kids are grumpy and tired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are the best memories for kids:-) I think as long as you don't do them too often, they are more bearable and special for the kids!

    ReplyDelete

Wet Dog, Muddy Boots All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger